Welcome to Our Humble Abode, Can I Offer You a Drink? ~ Amelia Bjorklund

Amelia Bjorklund
Professor Scott Olsen 
IWC 100 
14 December, 2022 

Welcome to Our Humble Abode, Can I Offer You a Drink? 

When I first met my boyfriend’s parents, the tension was high. He comes from a Kurdish family with strict cultural norms, and dating a white girl almost qualifies as treason. On the ground, surrounding a small coffee table, we sat upon pillows on the intricate, red rug. No one said anything except small talk about the weather of the day. His dad was curt and didn’t want to acknowledge me. His mom is the kindest soul, but she is embarrassed by her English and doesn’t talk much. However, she offered me some tea with sugar. I don’t like tea because it tastes bitter, but this seemed like a circumstance where I couldn’t refuse. I took a sip from the píale, a small, clear, pear-shaped tea cup his mom had handed me. The bitterness hit my tongue. The warmth overwhelmed my mouth. To me, the tea (and all teas for that matter) tasted like wet grass; however, there was no way I wouldn’t drink the entire cup. I was so afraid of offending them, so I took the drink and politely sipped, trying not to make a face of disgust with every gulp. As I drank, the conversation became more fluid. His dad began to explain his stories of moving to America. His demeanor changed. In the room, the tension lifted. With each sip, I showed that I wanted to be a part of their traditions. By giving me the tea, his mom saw me as a guest inside their home. The píale was like the olive branch of hospitality. It was the first time they saw me as willing to adapt and grow alongside their customs. Thanks to tea, and his mom’s willingness to host me as a visitor, my relationship with his family grew.  

My story isn’t an isolated one. Around the world, many different cultures use tea as a way to enhance their hospitality. Thousands gather with one another in their homes to share their thoughts, their worries, and their jokes over a pot of tea. Globally, an estimated 2.16 billion cups of tea are drunk each day equating to roughly 396 billion gallons of tea drunk every year (Kovachevska). Think of all the community created every time a glass of tea is poured. With each sip, bonds are created between guest and host. Hospitality and tea share a symbiotic relationship. The two share a long, interwoven history; but, what is tea? 

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, tea is “an aromatic beverage prepared from tea leaves by soaking them in boiling water” (“Tea”). All tea derives from the plant Camellia sinensis, a hardy evergreen shrub or tree that is believed to originate from Southwest China and the Northern part of India, though there is some mild debate as to the exact location (Watts and Clark-Mahoney 562). The tea plant itself is one of the most resilient plants on earth. It is drought and heat tolerant, it can grow in a variety of soils (clay, sand, and silt), flourishes in a mild climate, is resistant to deer eating at its bark, and attracts pollinating insects, which boosts its ecosystem for long term growth (North Carolina State). Since the plant grows with ease, there is no wonder as to why it has such a long history. The plant has been around for thousands of years, although some researchers believe that the drink has been consumed for more than 10,000 years. There are also hypotheses from other researchers that the drink has been around since man has been able to boil water. However, one of the most accepted first mentionings of it in writing was with the Chinese emperor, Shen Nung’ (also spelt Shennong), between 2737-2698 BCE. According to the legends, Shen Nung’ discovered tea after testing the pharmaceutical benefits of a variety of Chinese plants. He drank a cup of the dried leaves in hot water and proclaimed that it healed his ailments (Ellis, et al. 15). Ever since then, humans began experimenting with teas. They have tried to learn how to intensify a variety of flavors. With enough practice, and a lot of trial and error, humans have created six categories of tea. The categories include black, green, oolong, puerh, white, and yellow tea (Watts and Clark-Mahoney 563). Each category is created due to the difference of processing times and different leaf size or maturity. The processing of each category can include time consuming systems and all processes are specialized to achieve the desired flavor. As well as a plethora of flavors, each individual category can create specialized subcategories, all containing different health benefits.  

In the 1940s, my great-grandmother worked as a nurse. She saw all sorts of ailments, some more horrifying than the last, but no matter what type of case came in, she would insist that they were given a cup of tea. As soon as they were able to drink something, a cup of tea would be handed to them. She swore up and down that tea could cure them because it was a “gift from God.” When I was younger, I thought she was nuts for believing that a single drink could hold so much power. Lo and behold, she was right. Tea has been found to have an incredible amount of health benefits. In ancient times, tea was the only non-alcoholic beverage safe to consume. For the longest time, water was not safe to drink because it was filled with waterborne illnesses. People would instead drink alcohol diluted with water. When tea became popular though, they noticed that since the water was boiled, they weren’t getting sick with illnesses like cholera, typhoid, and dysentery. Researchers later discovered that tea releases tannic acid which acts as an antibacterial agent; thus, preventing multiple illnesses (Cumo 384). Tannic acid is also able to be passed through breast milk when the mother drinks the tea, so not only was the drink helping the adult population, but it was preventing future generations from getting sick. Since the younger generations weren’t getting sick, the bacteria wasn’t as easily spread among communities; therefore, the tea acted almost like a vaccine in the sense that it slowly eradicated previously debilitating diseases. Furthermore, tea has been shown to have even more modern benefits. Studies from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine reports that tea can reduce muscle cramps, improve sleep, ease constipation and bloating, lower blood pressure, sooth skin rashes, work as an anti-inflammatory, boost the immune system, and even prevent some cancers (“Hidden Health Benefits”). With such strong health benefits, there is no question as to why tea became the drink of the world. People noticed the benefits, as well as the dulcet taste, of tea. They wanted to share it with everyone. They noticed the symbolism between tea and welcoming, the warmth in both interactions. Thus began the association of tea and gathering.  

Throughout history, the only proper way to greet someone was with a serving of tea. After Shennong “discovered” tea, he knew that the drink would hold significance among many others. He began holding rituals and medicine circles with colleagues. Not long after, the tea became ceremonial for the Chinese Buddhist monks. They shared the drink among themselves and others, hosting elegant cleansing ceremonies. With practice, many monks became tea masters. They had the designated role of serving the tea in an honorable fashion so that guests, diplomats, and other monks felt welcomed into the room (Benn 67). Those who visited this reserved ceremony were left in great awe about how sacred the meeting could be. Diplomats from Japan were some of the most awe-inspired visitors. They traveled back to their home country with a Chinese monk who shared compacted tea with Japanese officials. It was an instant hit (Anderson 23). Japanese aristocrats, nobles, and samurai all began participating in tea ceremonies conducted by Chinese monks to both foster their relationships and gain insight into spiritual clarity. Slowly, Japanese monks took over as the new tea masters. They added their own twists to the practice. They abide by strict rules to follow so that the guests have a refreshing experience. Tea schools were created to create more tea masters, carrying on the tradition for centuries to come (Anderson 65-75). Ever since the introduction of tea schools, Japan’s tea ceremonies have become the epitome of hospitality, respect, and gathering all throughout the globe.  

The tea ceremonies have intricate, choreographed movements and phrases, like a ballet on stage. There are different types of tea ceremonies, some designed for tourists who don’t fully understand the cultural significance and only last about forty-five minutes, but the most authentic ones are designated for diplomats or those who understand the importance of the ceremonies. The authentic ceremonies last for six or more hours given who is invited or season it is in. To be invited to one is a real honor and a sign of great friendship. Months in advance, the tea master/host must invite the main guest to a chaji (tea time). Once the main guest has confirmed a date, they may invite whom they would like to spend the chaji with. Normally, the chajis have no more than six people including the host. This is to ensure that every guest feels attended to and that the host can properly allocate enough time for the ceremony. The host then creates the tearoom to fit the theme for the chaji and includes the symbolism desired (i.e. symbols of longevity if the chaji is a wedding celebration). The day before the chaji, the host deep cleans the entire house including the sidewalks in order to create a pure area for the guests. All of these detailed preparations are important for making the guest feel at home. It is vital that the guest feels honored and welcomed by the host. On the day of arrival, the host sprinkles water on the path and opens the gate to symbolize that they are ready for their guests’ arrival. The guests enter a room similar to a waiting area then enter the separate tearoom in a hierarchical order so that the main guest is the first to enter the room. Once inside, there is very little talking, and if there is talking, it is done by the host and main guest. There are four stages of the chaji: the shiori composed of eating dishes with a savory flavor, the nakadachi which is the break after eating the meal reserved for washing up, and the main two stages, koicha (thick tea serving) and usucha (thin tea serving) (Anderson 187-207). All stages are composed of fine elements from the host and the guest. There are certain ways to pour the tea, how and when to drink from your glass, at what position your back must be to the door, and so much more excruciating details. But these details aren’t for naught. Guests who have had the opportunity to experience this revered ceremony have stated how honored they felt. 

While other countries don’t hold tea in as high of a regard as Japan does, many still believe in the magical power that tea holds to bring people closer together. After tea made its way to Japan, it traveled fast to every corner of the world. From Central and East Asia to the Middle East to Europe, tea became the drink of choice for many. Each culture adapted their own methodologies for serving tea. In Central and Eastern Asian countries, many commonalities are shared with Japan in their ideas about tea and hospitality. It is customary that guests be served tea. There can be discrepancies between the acceptance of the drink from the guest. For example in Taiwan, the guest must refuse the tea multiple times before finally accepting it so as to not be seen as greedy (Shally-Jensen, Michael 118). Other than some small divergences, the region shares the idea that tea is a welcoming experience between the guest and host. In the Middle East, almost all cultures believe hospitality to be one of their main virtues. Each country has their own spin on how to best serve tea for the guests, but each of them believes that it is vital that the guest feels welcomed into the home with tea at the ready. In Iran, it is a requirement that the host offers tea to the guest and the guest must accept. Many of the countries will welcome a guest who showed up without notice, offer tea, and continue hosting for long periods of time. These get-togethers can last hours since it is rude to kick a guest out of the house and for the guest to leave in a hurry (Shally-Jensen, Michael 70-71). As well, many Middle Eastern cultures view tea as a way to grow closer with the visitor. It is a way to have something in common when there are unfamiliarities between the parties. Hospitality begins with a cup of tea and continues until the kettle is empty. This idea along with the ideas from Asian countries differs from Europeans (specifically Britain) and the United States. 

When tea first arrived in Britain from the Dutch merchants, the popualtion was uncertain about why the drink was so popular elsewhere. Rather quickly though, the rich citizens began to understand its value. The aristocrats began hosting large parties with one another, serving the drink. The gatherings were not as personal as ones in other countries. There could be a large room filled with over fifteen people (Ellis et al 140). During this period, tea was served almost in an anti-hospitality form. Those that could afford to buy the tea only welcomed those of the same class-level. Tea was viewed as a way to politic rather than a welcome to the guests. Once smugglers flooded the market with tea however, the drink lost its power as a signal of wealth or dignity (Ellis et al. 181). Tea became more common among the poorer class citizens and with the popularization, tea became synonymous with gossiping. People would host smaller gatherings for their “tea parties” and gossip about the latest scandals of the neighborhood. Once again, the tea was never really used as a hospitality manner; rather, it was used as a way to bring people together to talk about others. In a sense though, the gossiping may not be typical hospitality, but the act of calling someone over, sharing a drink together, and talking induces connections with the other. America has a similar thought about tea. In the beginning of the country’s history, tea was all the rage. However, when fighting for its independence, the country saw tea as an exclusively British drink and tried to wander away from the roots in any way they could. Thus, tea had lost its popularity. As time has grown on, tea has still lost its pizazz. Now, the country doesn’t drink as much tea as other countries, but there is still influence from other nations. There are chai lattes which other countries would view as a disgrace to tea or bubble tea inspired from Japan. Americans don’t host one another for tea in their households. Yet, there is something to be said about the uniqueness of their hospitality. People will invite one another for bubble tea or lattes in order to continue their bonds. They will pay for each other’s drinks and make them feel welcomed in whatever cafe they end up in.  

Once I had won over my boyfriend’s parents, an almost greater challenge came along: impressing the siblings. My boyfriend is the youngest of eight, six of whom are his sisters and one brother. So, in order to get the whole family’s approval, I wanted to have dinner with them and get to know them. Almost all of his sisters welcomed me with open arms into their households and into their lives; however, one of his youngest sisters and his sister-in-law had a hard time accepting me. They didn’t think it was proper for me to be dating my boyfriend. I did everything I could to try to impress them. I would ask about their interests. I would try the spiciest food imaginable. Yet, nothing I did was ever good enough for them. After a while, I came to terms with the fact that they won’t like me. Through a miracle, however, his sister-in-law invited me over. Now this was probably by the persuasion of her husband, but nevertheless, I came prepared. I knew I should bring a small hostess gift, greet them in Kurdish, and know when to expect tea. When I arrived, the atmosphere was uncomfortable. Yet, just like with his parents, things turned for the better when the tea was served. His sister-in-law saw how hard I was trying to get everything right. After that night, she was always more pleasant with me, even going so far as to sick out her neck on my behalf. Thanks to some simple cups of tea, my relationship with my boyfriend’s entire family has changed for the better. I can now help prepare and serve the tea with his mom. I know how much sugar his dad puts in each cup. I have come to look forward to sitting down and talking with his sisters while the tea is served. One drink changed my world. For myself and many others, tea represents a deeper sense of community because it means welcoming. It means home away from home. It is a sign of commonality between two strangers and probably the most important meaning being “hello my friend, it’s so nice to see you again. I hope we can do this again soon.” 

Works Cited  

Anderson, Jennifer L. An Introduction to Japanese Tea Ritual. State University of New York, 1991.

Cumo, Christopher. Foods That Changed History: How Foods Shaped Civilization from the  Ancient World to the Present, ABC-CLIO, 2015.  

Benn, James A. Tea in China: A Religious and Cultural History, University of Hawai’i Press,  2015.

Ellis, Markman et al. Empire of Tea: the Asian Leaf that Conquered the World, Reaktion Books  LTD, 2015.

Kovachevska, Marija. “32 Tempting Tea Statistics for a Healthier 2022” Comfy Living. 11 Feb.  2022, https://comfyliving.net/tea-statistics/#:~:text=Estimates%20indicate%20that%20people%20drink,cups%20of%20tea%20each%20day. 

Merriam-Webster. (n.d). Tea. In Merriam-Webster.com dictionary. Retrieved December 4, 2022.  from https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tea 

North Carolina State University. “Camellia sinensis.” North Carolina Agricultural and Technical  State University. 2022. https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/camellia-sinensis/  

Penn Medicine. “The Hidden Health Benefits of Tea,” University of Pennsylvania. 4 Mar, 2022, https://www.pennmedicine.org/updates/blogs/health-and-wellness/2019/december/health-benefits-of-tea  

Shally-Jensen, Micheal. Countries, Peoples, & Cultures, vol. 2, 5, 9, Salem Press, 2015.  

Watts, Linda S. and Clark-Mahoney, Kelty. Food and World Culture: Issues, Impacts, and Ingredients, vol. 2, ABC-CLIO, 2022