Defensive Bipolar

While I was wondering around the internet searching for information on bipolar disorder, I stumbled across an interesting blog by a person (Bp) who was diagnosed with bipolar. This person’s story was interesting to me because Bp displayed the normal symptoms of bipolar, but that was not all. Later on he developed other symptoms. Bp was diagnosed with bipolar at age 14, and was promptly placed on medication (Risperdal). Bp complained that the medication induced a vegetative state, and went off the medicine wanting to try therapy. Then Bp started to hear a voice in his head, named Maverick. Maverick would take over Bp’s body. When Bp asked his therapist about this new development, he was told that it was just a defense mechanism for dealing with people. He was then put on Lithium, and it only got worse. So then Bp went off medication.
This got me thinking about what bipolar really is, and I thought, what if bipolar is just a defense mechanism as well? Maybe mania is a faulty coping mechanism for major depression? Almost like a rebound. Then once your body is exhausted from the manic state, it slumps back down into depression? This is similar to Multiple Dissociative Disorder (multiple personalities). Multiple personalities are just coping mechanisms for dealing with stressors. For example, a woman who was raped by her father every night, created different personalities, one to deal with the rape, and one to live normal school life. Eventually, she created other alters as well.
Bp’s story also got me wondering, how effective treatment by pharmaceuticals is. As of right now, the DSM-IV just tries to objectively diagnose the disorder, and then pump the patient full of drugs. It needs to reform to give us objective suggestions for treatment based on the individual, not just generalized. I think in Bp’s case, actual cognitive therapy would have been way more helpful than a prescription. I think psychologists  need to seriously consider the patient when proscribing treatment because every disorder is really unique. Everything is very subjective, and it’s hard to diagnose a subjective disorder.  What are your thoughts?

3 Comments

1. Glad to see this class taking an interest in diagnosis and treatment of mental illness!
    I am a psychiatrist at Altru Health Sysytem in Grand Forks and have recently ( like two days ago) started a blog about the practice of psychiatry (morethanmeds.area voices.com) I invite you over to read and see if I can give you a different perspective on the topic of diagnosis.
    I also invite any of you to get in touch if you want to shadow a psychiatrist (for real, not virtual!) and experience first-hand the challenges and rewards of treating patients with bipolar.