Calcium and Its Connection to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)

Amyotrophic later sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, is disease characterized by death of motor neurons leading to mobile impairment and eventually death. This disease affects approximately 30,000 people in the United States and is quickly gaining notoriety. The average lifespan after the diagnosis of ALS is between 3 and 5 years. In all honesty, I did not know that much about ALS going into this week and I learned a lot.
Our article discussed that fact that calcium homeostasis in crucial in the proper folding of proteins within the cell. Dysfunction of calcium regulation can lead to improperly folded proteins and neurodegradation. The UPR pathway is responsible for properly folding protein within a cell and is highly regulated by calcium levels. The current treatment for ALS is used to delay the symptoms by slowing down neuronal death.
The worst part about ALS is that it debilitates a person and it affects every person around them. Individuals with ALS require constant care and therapy. As a person who plans to dedicate the rest of my life serving the needs of people, I find this disease sad. I cannot image the pain it must cause to an individual’s family. I hope that new research is discovered in the near future to help combat this disease. Since this is the last blog that I will post about an article that we read, I just want to let everyone know that this stuff rocks and I will keep reading on.