#RollCobbs Baby

Concordia has shown me and taught me so much more than I could ever imagine. I can’t put into words how grateful I am to all the people who has led me through the last four years of my life. All I have to say is don’t let it go by so fast, and trust me it really does. Everyone always says that, but no one believes that it’s true until it all happens.  Get involved as much as you can, make as many friends as you can, make great memories, and make the best out of your college experience. Live your best life, I know I sure did!

Concordia Learning

Learning is a key part of every college institution; it helps us grow and share ideas with those around us. Learning is especially important at Concordia College, a liberal arts school that has five goals for learning. (1) Instill a love for learning. The four years I have attended Concordia have shown me that learning can be fun, and it isn’t just about memorizing and filling in the correct answer on an exam. (2) Develop foundational skills and transferable intellectual capacities. The skills that are taught at Concordia will help its students to go out and share with the world. I have become much more confident when sharing my thoughts and ideas because Concordia has taught me that everyone’s thoughts are important, and they’re all worth sharing. (3) Develop an understanding of disciplinary, interdisciplinary, and intercultural perspectives and their connections. Coming from a predominantly white high school, my eyes were opened to different cultures, religions, and lifestyles. I’ve been able to learn about many different cultures and religions while at Concordia, not just in my classes but also in my everyday life. (4) Cultivate an examined cultural, ethical, physical, and spiritual self-understanding. This fourth goal is one of the most important goals from the five that Concordia introduces, I think. Concordia expresses that everyone should be themselves and not be afraid to express what they believe in. This is taught during class sessions, outside of class during cultural events, and many professors believe everyone should show their identity. (5) Encourage responsible participation in the world. This final goal has been taught through participation in class, participation outside of the classroom, and attending events outside from the college. I’ve started to become more responsibly engaged in the world by interacting with people from different cultures, listening to others who I disagree with, and allowing for everyone to express themselves no matter what.

Freshman year soccer.

My College Journey

I started off my freshman year at Concordia as a Biology major, hoping to take the Premed route, but that quickly changed after taking a few biology and chemistry classes. I was always interested in how the body worked and why it did the things that it did, but college classes are hard. I was minoring in psychology as the time, as well. About halfway through my sophomore year, I switched to a double major in neuroscience and psychology. I’ve been enjoying this much more, mostly because there’s less biology and chemistry involved. Don’t get me wrong, there’s still a bit of the two topics but nothing I can’t handle. I had never taken a chemistry class before coming to college, and I really struggled through the few chemistry courses I did take. Neurochemistry has been, by far, my favorite chemistry course. The main reason is because of how the class is structured. I loved that every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday there was a set schedule. For Monday class I had to read an article, complete a worksheet based on that article, and discuss in class on Monday. For Wednesday, we would each be assigned a topic and would have to research and report on the topic to the class. And on Friday, we would split up into two different groups and students would lead a discussion. I have never been in a class that was structured the way Neurochemistry with Dr. Mach is. I was worried that I wouldn’t understand this class, but I did, and I enjoyed the entire semester of it.

Why Liberal Arts?

A liberal arts college has a goal to help students learn about everything and gain knowledge in many different places. I learned this through taking many different required and elective courses. As a student at Concordia, we are required to take two religion courses, PEAK courses, and a language course. At first, I wasn’t a fan of taking so many required courses that I thought wouldn’t have anything to do with my future. But I’ve enjoyed being emersed in the many different courses that Concordia has provided. If I were to highlight something on my resume that I have improved upon during my time at Concordia, I would be sure to mention that I have learned how to talk with others who I don’t agree with. Attending classes that were required to graduate introduced me to a lot of people who I would never have met. I enjoyed chatting with those who I disagreed with because it opens so many different possibilities.

The famous Concordia ring day!

What Now?

The last four years have gone by faster I could have imagined, but I enjoyed every minute of it. Being involved in college athletics is hard to balance with schoolwork but that was one of my favorite parts about these four years. I will be back for an extra semester, but that doesn’t mean I won’t miss what the past four years have provided for me. I want to use all the skills that Concordia has provided to me in the future. I want to be able to communicate effectively with others, share my thoughts, and fight for what I believe in. I hope to go into the medical field, work with children, and do something that has to do with neuroscience and psychology combined. I know Concordia has prepared me for whatever I decide to do, and I sure am going to miss all the connections and memories I made. #RollCobbs