A Reflection of This Semester

How this semester’s learning relates to my future goals 

Going into the field of neuroscience and psychology often means study hard materials like chemistry and psychological disorders. However, liberal learning integrates aspects of multiple cultures, religions, and perspectives to enhance these subjects. For example, in the neurochemistry class this semester, discussions often included treatment options for different groups of individuals as well as risk factors that apply to some more than others. I will be able to relate back to this learning when working with various clients and populations in the future to provide more equal and competent treatment.

What are highlighted resume skills and competencies that were improved this semester?

One of the major skills that I worked on this semester was leading in discussion and confidence in asking questions. Having discussions about hard topics will continue to be a theme in all of my future studies as well as my career. This is one of the reasons it is important to highlight because it displays the skill to bounce ideas off one another to come up with better thoughts and solutions. Along the lines of discussion, I also became more competent in providing scientific information to the public. Specifically in neurochemistry, my peers and I practiced writing about interesting topics followed by teaching one another to gain a greater understanding on the subject. Overall, collaborating with others and communicating effectively are important skills that I have improved upon this semester and will carry on with me.

What is an example of problem solving using several disciplinary perspectives? 

Through liberal learning, students learn how to incorporate multiple disciplinary perspectives into situations and problems. One example of this treating an individual, who falls into a minority, with therapy. There are several different theories and skills to take on therapy which include taking into account different cultural values. For a therapist who may not be competent in that culture, they must problem solve in order to provide the best treatment possible to their client. One area they must take from is religion because many strong values and beliefs arise from one’s religion. Another disciplinary perspective of their client they must learn would be their families medical background, which may incorporate subjects like biology, neurochemistry, psychology, and more. Lastly, investigating the cultural origin of their client would provide important information to treatment. Especially in mental illness, everyone views the field differently such as taking a more physiological approach rather than focusing on cognitive distortions. Even the relationship between the therapist and the client will be affected by these factors which is why in this situation, the therapist must use several disciplinary perspectives to gain a better understanding of their client.

Liberal Arts Learning 

Liberal learning throughout my time at Concordia has allowed me to grow in multiple aspects instead of solely my major studies. I have learned to integrate multiple subjects together to form deeper thoughts and dialogues. Moreover, I have had the opportunity to apply this learning to real life situations like jobs and internships. Going forward, I will continue to utilize these skills such as leading and communication to benefit my studies and learning in the future.