A Capstone to My Neuronal Foundation

Throughout my neuroscience minor endeavor I gained knowledge about the structures and functions of the brain’s anatomy. The brain is very complicated and intricate and its neural pathways that link structures. And now, it’s all come down to neurochemistry. Most of my what’s? and why’s? will be answered with: This pathway, that receptor, this MAPKKK activating that MAPKK to the next MAPK, inhibition of this, excitation of that, autophosphorylation, ion channel blockers, retrograde signaling and leptin did it.
My neurochemistry experience was very exciting and nothing short of interesting. Sometimes the articles were a little complicated when it came to getting the big picture about what is going on in the brain. But what made the class is the way my peers and I contributed to each other’s learning by standing in front of the class every Wednesday and presenting what we had learned since Monday. Fridays were the days that we all got together in a circle and worked out all the kinks and cleared up our understanding of the weekly topic. Our conversations would range from the molecular mechanisms inside the brain, to a holistic understanding of what may be causing a disease or such ailments. I was always excited to hear what other had to say and how would refute or back up our peer’s. The great thing about the class is that we brought chemistry, biology, psychology, neuroscience, and even philosophy into the neurochemistry capstone.
Neurochemistry at Concordia has allowed me to analyze and think critically about certain issues of the brain and understand them by talking about them. Sometimes it is difficult to relay information to non-science majors and even people of the public. Being able to blog about class has provided me with a way to tell and show people that I am interested about science and that they should be too. If it wasn’t for the college students asking why? Or how come? Than we would still be left with mysteries about the greatest thing on earth: The Brain.