ALS and important decisions to make

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a neurodegenerative disease that leads to motor neurons death. There are two types of this disease including: fALS and sALS. Lateral sclerosis refers to the hardening of the spinal cord. The disease is characterized by muscle weakness. Since the ALS is progressive degeneration of the neurons in the brain and spinal cord, the patient slowly lose the function of all muscle. This is the most fatal feature of the disease because of loss of function of muscle associated with respiratory, cardiac, digestive, speech and other systems. Currently, there is not cure for ALS, except a drug called Riluzole, which decrease the symptoms of the disease. Glutamate is an important neurotransmitter in the central nervous system. Glutamate plays a significant role in the onset of ALS disease. The concentration of glutamate is higher in the cells as well as in the fluid outside of the cells (extracellular fluid) in the ALS patients. This leads to neural dysfunction and degeneration, which is process resulting in death of the neurons. Riluzole regulates the level of glutamate in and outside of the neurons.
Discussion about ALS in our neurochemistry class did bring up other important topics such as sensitive conversations and decisions to be made by ALS patients and their family members. We spoke about whether or not consulting and being tested if one has a family member with ALS. It is a very important matter in one’s life because it might determine future decisions such as marriage, having children and other personal decisions. There are people who love to become parent; it becomes complicated and very difficult decision to make if genetic testing indicates a potential to develop ALS in the future. I am not sure if I can ignore my hope to become a mother some day and at the same time knowing that my child will suffer and die from ALS. It really made think about what I would want to do if I get diagnosed by ALS.
There is not a treat for ALS and at the same time there is not enough funding to get significant studies done about the possible treatments. As we discussed in our group, raising awareness and educating people on the disease might help to raise funds toward the research on the disease. For example Ice Bucket Challenge was a great step which has enabled the ALS Association to have a significant fund raising. Ice Bucket Challenge has caused awareness and also initiated research projects. I hope our society grow as a whole by helping and educating one another on fatal disease that can be cured by doing more research. If we always come up with creative ways like Ice Bucket Challenge to increase public awareness, then in return the society would help by donations toward research funding and emotional support to the patients and family members. If we know about the symptoms of a particular disease, then we would not act or say something offensive by seeing a patient having the disease.
I am so grateful for taking neurochemistry course at Concordia College. It has definitely helped me to learn about different disease, importance of public awareness on different topics related to our health, and function of the brain in cellular level. I know that there is a lot more topics to come and I will be appreciated by learning them. I feel very happy when I am writing on this website because I feel like I am contributing to social awareness and this is a way to help our society.

https://moodle.cord.edu/pluginfile.php/468373/mod_resource/content/1/NMDA%20receptors%20and%20ALS.pdf