Investing in Autism: Funding for Services or Research?

Studying both psychology and neuroscience in my undergraduate years I believe I have received an education that has highlighted the importance of all kinds of treatment, including using both therapy and medication to treat a variety of diseases. Most days I find myself contemplating whether to pursue a degree in research or therapy, as I find myself passionate about both. However, I have realized that very few people have the same appreciation and respect for treatments such as therapy as they do for treatments such as medication. Investigating autism specifically, it is clear that the emphasis is on researching causes and possible cures, instead of providing direct support services. For example, in the last decade more than $1 billion have been spent to identify possible causes of autism, while autism services are continuing to experience budget cuts.
The question I have then, is whether there should be an increase in funding for these direct support services instead of research?
I currently work at a nonprofit organization that aims to provide services to individuals in the area struggling with mental disorders. After spending time working with individuals with autism specifically, I have gained valuable insight into the way that investments in direct support services benefit children and adults with autism. Evidence-based therapies such as Applied Behavior Analysis and behavior modification based on the use of positive reinforcement are helping countless children and adults everyday. Overcoming social and behavioral obstacles, these therapies help individuals with autism live fulfilling lives. Seeing this, it is hard for me to believe that autism funding is best used researching possible causes and cure instead of helping individuals with autism find their place in the world.
Today, research continues to outshine support services. Federal government grants and other money available focuses on environmental contributions, risk factors, and treatment/potential cures for autism. Though I believe that researching these things are important, I also know and have witnessed the benefits of direct support services, and I believe that it is absolutely necessary for these services to receive an increase in funding.