Final Course Reflection

Thinking back on all the classes I have taken so far in my undergraduate education at Concordia, this Neurochemistry course has been one of a kind. It is so satisfying to be able to use the material learned in basic science classes to discuss real world diseases and disorders by looking into all kinds of research. As a student who is on the pre-health profession track, learning about diseases that you hear about everyday was extremely valuable. Not only was the material thoroughly engaging, but it also sparked a new interest in research that I hadn’t had before. I learned to really appreciate the type of learning I was doing even though it wasn’t the typical listen to a lecture, take notes, and then take an exam format most science classes embrace.

The learning I did this semester was not only about mechanisms and biochemical pathways of diseases and disorders, but being able to read research articles and discuss them in such detail provided me with practice in reading and understanding up to date research skills, technologies and techniques, and diagnostic procedures. I learned how to ask and answer questions about highly advanced scientific data and perform my own research about topics to present in an understandable way to my peers.

I really enjoyed the format for the exams as well. I loved being presented with puzzle pieces and figuring out which pieces were needed to form the correct picture. It gave me confidence in what I had learned and that I could apply it to real world problems and provide a correct hypothesis. I think that is a very important skill to practice as someone who aspires to be able to diagnose problems observed in patients.

Being a health professional is not just about being able to diagnose a problem effectively, but to educate patients to encourage proper care and better health outcomes. It is important to be able to relay information to others who do not share a common background in a way that is appropriate and understandable to them. Discussing advanced material with my peers throughout the semester has been a good way to prepare for these types of conversations.

These discussions also raised some ethical questions that need to be considered. Hearing these questions and listening to how others respond based on their own ideas and cultural beliefs was a very beneficial experience and helped to open my eyes and broaden my thoughts about the ways that these types of questions can be addressed. It is important to see different perspectives when dealing with an ethical issue, but it is equally important to provide factual information for the patient to make the best, informed decision for them.

Learning at a liberal institution means that you will not only find success in academics, but will become the best, well-rounded version of yourself that you can be. Concordia’s main goal is to prepare students to become responsibly engaged in the world and by shaping you into the best version of yourself as a whole is just one way that goal becomes a reality.